Thursday, September 10, 2009

I need your help on this journey

I opened a training book about how to run a marathon for non runner. The dedication page read this….For my grandfather, who never could have ran a marathon himself, but have never for a moment doubt that I could. I dropped the book as my eyes filled with tears.

Since January, I have been contemplating and preparing my body to join Team in Training in order to run the Walt Disney Marathon in 2010. Stop laughing!!…..I said the book was geared towards non runners. Reading those dedication words, I knew that my fate was sealed and that I was going to complete this marathon if I had to run, skip, walk or crawl myself across the finish line. That author’s words are now the mantra that makes me finish my daily mileage when I just want to lay in front of the TV. Except, my mantra goes something like this…
Grandma Lois and “Aunt” Lancy may have been unable to complete a marathon, but they would have NEVER doubted I could. And so I will keeping moving if for no other reason than to kick cancer in its teeth with every one of my steps.

Team in Training is the marathon fundraising organization for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS). Grandma and Lancy did not have Leukemia, but cancer is cancer. I decided it didn’t matter what cancer organization I was working for as long as I was working towards one goal: Create a world without cancer.

I am now in the midst of a intense 4 month training program. In addition to completing the marathon, I have made a financial commitment to LLS. My commitment to The LLS is to raise $3500. The LLS’s mission is to cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and to improve the quality of life of patients and their families. Seventy cents of every dollar will go directly towards research, patient services and
community awareness.

Will you please join me in this effort? I can’t make it without your love, enthusiasm, caring and financial support. Just use your donation to demonstrate your support or disbelief! You can donate on-line; just visit the Team In Training website: http://www.teamintraining.org/ and use the “Find a Participant” link to find my personal page. I am also asking that you include inspirational messages or funny stories that will get me through training. I am challenging everyone who reads this post to donate at least $26.20 one dollar for every mile. All contributions are tax deductible

In addition, for anyone who makes a financial donation, if you would like me to run in honor or memory of a friend or loved one, please include their name(s)/pictures/stories with your donation. I am hoping to honor one person each mile of my journey by dedicating that mile to them. The first mile will be dedicated to Lancy, mile 11 to Grandma, and the last mile to my daughter Lola. Lola is named after both LOis and LAncy, so this is to honor them but to show her that anything is possible.

Thanks in advance for your support.
Live, Laugh, Love

1 comment:

  1. Jessi, WOW! You go girl! GO TNT! Now Murry and I aren't the only nuts in the family; I forgot Uncle Wayne. You are going to have the time of your life. Disney was my first marathon also and I could of had a better finish time if I hadn't stopped for all the photos with Mickey and friends. We are looking forward to following your blog and remember Vaseline is your friend.

    ReplyDelete